Sunday, October 20, 2024

The Wild Robot (2024) directed by Chris Sanders

 


The Wild Robot tells the story of a robot programmed to be of service shipwrecked on an island inhabited only by animals. It learns to communicate with them and after accidentally killing a bird in a fall discovers the bird was a mother and finds itself taking the place of mother and has to raise the chick on its own, developing real emotional feelings as it does so. 

As this is brand new movie, I will try not to spoil too much. The film is lovely to look at the animation has a storybook/ studio Ghibli style to it that really works. Its very well made, the voice acting was great but I saw it in French so I can’t speak to the all star English cast version which I would guess is at least as good. 

The film’s biggest faults might have more to do with my expectations than anything else. I saw the first trailer and thought the animals would not talk… but they do. If you had had asked me to guess ho the story would progress before I saw it, I would pretty much have nailed it. The trailer, like far too many trailers, basically takes you through the entire film and to honest the scenario is a typical by the numbers story. No real surprises, though it is well told. 

This is well worth seeing but it falls short of being great because it plays it too safe. 

No comments: