Thursday, February 15, 2024

3000 years of Longing (2022) directed by George Miller

 


This fantasy film starring Tilda Swinton and Idris Elba took me by surprise. Not because of the actors, having them both in a film was enough for me to want to see it, but more because of my idea that it would be a simple, low budget film more psychologic in nature when it was an extravagant looking, beautifully filmed piece that definitely landed more on art film than blockbuster but nevertheless managed to include some amazing effects. 

Swinton is a narratology expert and begins to see disturbing visions while talking at a conference in Istanbul. She finds an antique bottle and while cleaning it find a Djinn has been trapped inside. 

I don't want to spoil the film too much but I will say the interaction between the two main characters as the Djinn tells his life story to convince Swinton to ask for 3 wishes, the first being "her heart's content" really pulls you in. All the performances are great and the film doesn't drag during it's 106 minutes. 

I will say there are some elements that bugged me. The Djinn is described as being electromagnetic in nature. Fine. But when he begins to suffer from information overload in London because of all the cell phones etc etc it was confusing. Istanbul is at least as full of tech as London and we see that clearing at the start of the film. It's that old only European and the USA are first world nations prejudice rearing its ugly head. I also found the leads character's sudden need to be loved and less lonely made me angry. She was self sufficient and not lonely at all until suddenly she was.. another trope. All women are supposed need a family and man to be happy and if they say they don't they are fooling themselves. There is a potential issue of what is real and what isn't for some viewers. In some instances the Djin is clearly real and in the world while others, including the end, he might be all in her head. This bothers me less since I like that sort of discussion it brings but it did seem the film wasn't sure what to do with the magical elements. 

Well worth seeing despite the plot holes and missteps. I have not read the story it was based on and that might clear up some of the problems but films should stand on their own, even if based on outside material. 

3 comments:

TF said...

I think it was the prolonged exposure that made the djinn ill. Their time in Istanbul, while it took up most of the runtime, was brief. London happened to be where they lived when his system reached its limit.

T' said...

This one is well off my radar, though I really like both actors as well. Sounds like the tropes that bugged you are ones that would bug me, too. I'm really tired of women being written that way. Or really anyone. Not every story has to have a love story in it. I wish more of them didn't. Thanks for reviewing this. Might look out for it!

Behemoth media said...

It was worth seeing overall but man I hate that all women need a man! Stuff!