Saturday, November 26, 2022

Thor: Love and Thunder (2022) written and directed by Taika Waititi


Taika Waititi is an odd choice for a Marvel Universe superstar but this and his last Thor film has elevated the series with its quirky humour and fun. 

Following a lead from the comics this film has Thor discovering that his ex girlfriend is now also a Thor and the two awkwardly rekindle their romance. As in the comic, she has been diagnosed with cancer and each time she uses the mighty hammer it hastens here death. Natalie Portman reprises the role, having skipped the second film and is pretty damn good. So is everyone else and I had to be told that Gorr the God Butcher, the piece's villain, was Christian bale. I had no idea. 

As light and action packed as this movie is, it stands out to me for a reason we often don't see in this ginormous blockbusters. Whenever a serious or emotionally poignant scene comes up there is always a quip to knock it out of the film and be forgotten about. Not this time. Waititi does not skimp on the feelings or hide them when talking about the cancer. It's not overdone or thrown in to make yu cry but it does ground the film like no other marvel spectacular and it's all the better for it. 

Funny, touching where it needs to be and full of fun performances makes me look forward to the third. 

2 comments:

T' said...

I hate to say, but I have to disagree. I thought it was too goofy and the moments of real drama felt out of place with the tone of the rest of the film. There's a good story in here but it's mixed in with a bunch of other unnecessary stuff, like the whole Greek pantheon stuff that I found it hard to care. That you liked it is cool, though! Glad you enjoyed it. We just don't agree on this one. :D

Behemoth media said...

I see your point of view and the Greek pantheon stuff was a real weak spot in this film and dragged out. I think more people have your take on this than mine. The taking her cancer seriously might have overweighted the positive for me in this movie since I didn’t expect that in a marvel film.