Tuesday, November 1, 2022

Everything, Everywhere, All at once (2022) written and directed by Daniel Kwan Daniel Scheinert


 I have been seeing a lot of A24 films lately and they vary in content but the quality is usually pretty high but this one... this one is jumps the shark in so many ways and so full of ... everything... it is in multiworld of it's own. I will watch Michelle Yeoh in anything, she never disappoints and she give a great comic but grounded performance in a movie with no ground at all under it's feet. After a short period of introduction it begins is frantic journey of a woman who starts to jump across the multiverse as she tries to settle her laundromat tax situation and keep her family together. It's funny, touching and I can't remember a film where I said "What the fuck?" so many times. David Lynch, eat your heart out  fro weirdness, this story literally has it all, everywhere and at once. Your brain just can't hold all the stuff this throws at you. 

It was a surprise hit, not Marvel multiverse hit territory but it goes places marvel never can and manages to do so on a 25 million dollar budget. It's effects are amazing but not out of control and don't need to be because you are so involved in what's happening and knocked off balance every few minutes with something more bizarre and so out there you never recover. For such concept it is a surprisingly human film, the characters are all great and Jamie Lee Curtis has such an over the top role that goes from comedic, to terrifying within an instant and then to a place where she is completely relatable and sympathetic. 

There might be a universe where someone doesn't like this movie, but I do not want to go there. It's a revelation of a film. 

2 comments:

T' said...

I can't believe I let this blog fall from my attention. Sorry about that, Vince! I have too many things going on. I LOVED this movie. I think it was the first movie I went back to the theaters for after Covid. It was so crazy and still made sense. I didn't recognize Jamie for a good long while because she was so dumpy and if there's one thing Ms Curtis is not, it's dumpy. Yeoh I, too will watch in anything. There was apparently a second version released with something like eleven minutes more footage added. Of what, I don't know. We're in tune on this one. Excellent film.

Behemoth media said...

Thanks Mike! Robin loved as well even though I think the ratatouille thing haunts him still! I don't know if I could take another 11 minutes of madness! I have one friend who "didn't get it" and couldn't figure out what we all saw in it. Oh well.

I don't know who reads this blog, not many. I get the occasional comment about posts from many years ago and the very rare comment on recent posts. Some people are looking though according to the page views! I like writing about movies even if no one reads I guess. It's therapy or something...