Friday, October 14, 2022

My Copps Hill Burying ground photo book on Amazon!


 Just a Halloween reminder that my 44 page photography book about Boston's 2nd older cemetery is for sale on Amazon.   Click the link to buy a copy! 

Synopsis:

Growing up in historic Boston, Massachusetts in the 1960s, I had the good fortune to have access to some of the oldest and most renowned graveyards in the United States. I took full advantage of them. For me, they are restful places filled with history, untold stories and wonderful works of art. It is easy to forget how special they are.I was always in awe of Copp’s Hill Burying Ground, having first visited there at as young boy with an unmarried aunt. One of my favorite authors, H.P. Lovecraft, mentioned the cemetery in one of his best known short stories, Pickman’s Model. One of the stones even has what looks like the inspiration for Lovecraft’s ghastly creation, the Cthulhu. Of all the old burial places in the city, this is the one that most strikes a chord with me.Even though I might prefer a more out of the way and hidden boneyard for my remains, I can’t say the idea of digging a hole and hiding myself under Copp’s Hill for eternity doesn’t hold a certain appeal.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks great, growing up in Dedham we spent lots of time in a cemetery with stones going back to the 1600s. Our fave to get high at 15 was a small stone with a death head engraved with the Caption "Perpetual".

Vincent-louis Apruzzese said...

new England is covered with really old cemeteries, I used to bike form Boston out towards Lincoln and further and always stopped at hidden little cemeteries, often they were at crossroads.