Sunday, September 28, 2008

B-B-B-Bellydance!

Hi.

First I'd like to apologize, or if you're Arthur, apologise for the compression quality of this clip. I found it on YouTube, and embedding was disabled, so I said "What? Does the guy who uploaded it think he OWNS it?!?!?!? That's like antiyoutubeish!!"

So, I downloaded it and uploaded it. Ha!

This movie is written by William Peter Blatty who wrote The Exorcist and was directed by J. Lee Thompson, who directed Guns of Navarone, Cape Fear, Taras Bulba and What a Way to Go!

But it's not out on DVD and as far as I can tell, TCM has forgotten about it. Maybe they'll air it when Shirley croaks..(she's 74, so it could be another decade easy and, for the record, I don't wish it on her)...

But as regards Shirley, this film taught me that a woman who wasn't classically beautiful could be even more so; she was rockin' that whole Giulietta Masina vibe, and I had been told by adults that she as an actress should be appreciated because she was "cute" so I watched her films quasi-appreciatively, until I saw this one which made my head explode, like a young Borgnine.

It's schticky dreck, and very apt for the zeitgest, with Saudis n'all (Ustinov!) Every character actor in the universe is in it too, Jim Backus, Fred Clark, Wilfred Hyde-White, Harry Morgan, Richard Deacon, and the ubiquitous and recently passed away (always include the away - OK?) Charles Lane.

So I want it, damn it - that's all...

7 comments:

Donna Lethal said...

I get so peeved when people disable shit on youtube. What's the point?!

I love Shirl. I once watched "Sweet Charity" on acid, but this one I've NEVER seen!

Keith said...

That's really cool. Thanks for posting it up here. I've never understood why people upload stuff to youtube and then disable it. That ticks me off.

glyphjockey said...

It was super easy using the download embedded plugin for firefox. I was thinking of starting a blog where one could "liberate" clips posted by - well, there's no other word for it - jerkoffs.

Donna Lethal said...

Damn, I just upgraded my firefox and haven't even checked out the new features. That is a good idea. Especially liberating for the slammer!

glyphjockey said...

One last thing:

Hey big-ig-ig-ig spender-ender-ender-ender,
Spend-end-end-end a little time-ime-ime-ime with me-ee-ee-ee-ee

Mrs. Muddle said...

Shirley was one of my childhood obsessions but I never saw this either. I want it too!
I'm thinking about starting "I and I Tube".

Donna Lethal said...

"I and I Tube brought to you by Oogle, the browser that lets you go everywhere!"