Saturday, January 23, 2010

Best Worst Movie (2009)

I have to admit that until tonight I'd never seen or heard of Troll 2. But for some reason I was drawn to this documentary that examines the cult following this Italian-produced, late 1980s Utah production has bred. Watching this doc was pretty much the closest experience I've had to my first viewing of American Movie (Another incredible documentary about the genesis of an eccentric horror film production).

I think this story shares that special and indescribable quality that films like Plan 9 From Outer Space and Manos: The Hands of Fate have. It's just too damn absurd to be believed. No one ever sets out to make a movie like Troll 2. It just happens. And it's not just bad. It's also very earnest and human.





1 comment:

Mavis Martini said...

Claudio Fragasso, the Italian Ed Wood?! Hmmmm...
George Hardy IS a star no matter what he does! So glad I got to see this. Now, when do we have a "Troll 2" party?