Saturday, July 25, 2009

The Unholy Three (1930 version)

There are few things more terrifying than a sadistic midget dressed as a baby, but throw in ventriloquism, old lady drag, and an emasculated strongman terrorized by a gorilla and you've got "The Unholy Three." Maybe because I saw this movie quite a few times on LSD (I was never a "peace and love" type) it's had quite an effect on me, and last night I watched it again on TCM. I should have blogged it sooner in case some of you who hadn't seen it could have set your DVRs, but hopefully it will rerun again soon. Here's some screenshots.


Here's the film's opener. Note, this is the talkie remake directed by Jack Conway, but just as good.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I love the "say girl" in the audience!

Poor Lon died before this was released, I think. He was not a bad-lookin' gazookis.

Christopher said...

Chaney would a been good in the 1930s Gangster pictures with that voice...Harry Earles,who played the midget as baby in both versions of this did a similar and just as disturbing character in the Little Rascals short,Free Eats 1932..Where he and another real ugly kid ? or midget, pose as babies to steal goods at a society party benefit for children..
never seen this one ..tripping ;o)

The Hound said...

TCM has run both version-- Tod Browning's silent original and Jack Conway's remake at least twice in the last eighteen months, also worth looking for and in TCM regular rotation are Browning's South Of Zanzibar and the remake Kongo.

Tower Farm said...

I am so watching TCM non-stop until I see this!
-Billy

Donna Lethal said...

Tower Farm: you can sign up for TCM's email reminder or Twitter. Eve, I agree: Lon was a looker!

Keith said...

Wow! I had never seen this one before. I'll definitely have to see if I can catch it at some point.